I've finally decided what I want to be when I grow up. Although I would love to be a social worker and do the CPS thing, I don't think it's what I want to do forever. So, getting a Masters in Social Work was not a good choice. Plus, the only MSW program in Arizona is at ASU. Besides the fact that I don't want to be a scum devil, the program is one of the worst rated in the country, so it wouldn't be worth it anyway.
So I explored some other options and decided to go with Speech Pathology. Hopefully I'll end up working in an elementary school with kids who have speech impediments. That way, I get to work with kids without having to be a real teacher. The salary is about twice as much as a teacher and I would still get summers and other school holidays off so it would work well when Ferenc and I have kids and I can still work. I'm pretty excited to start it.
Here's the bad part. Since speech pathology has nothing to do with my major (Family Studies and Human Development) or my minor (Family Law), I don't have any of the pre-reqs. So, even though I'll be finished with my major in December and ready to graduate, I'm going to stay in school and finish the year of pre-reqs as an undergrad. That way it'll be easier for me to get into the Speech Pathology program right away.
Taking 5 1/2 years to graduate isn't that bad if you factor in some changes of majors, a minor, and a year of pre-reqs, right? haha.
On the bright side, I should finish with my masters before Ferenc finishes his bachelors. Especially since he's bound to have another deployment sometime in the next 4 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment