Thursday, September 4, 2008

The joys of working with children

Today was my first day back at work for the YMCA. I usually work as a supervisor in the room for kids 8 - 15 years old, but they've decided to start me out in the day care room because the other girl couldn't handle it anymore. I love kids but today was a little much for me. My least favorite thing about working with kids 6 weeks to 6 years is that i have to play mom instead of just supervise. I'm changing diapers, wiping noses, wiping arms after kids wipe snot onto them, and constantly telling kids not to jump, hit, or climb. And of course, I worked alone today and the room filled up to capacity. So, watching 30 kids under age 6 by myself is not my idea of great fun.

The best/worst part of the day is when Jasmine, a 3 1/2 year old with a 9 month old brother, comes up to me. Here is our conversation:

"Miss Katie, I have a question"
"what's wrong Jasmine?"
"Why does brother have a penis and I only have a butt?"
"......"
"why?"
"Because Jasmine you're a girl an brother is a boy, you should ask your mommy this when you get home"

So, yeah, today at work was definitely interesting to say the least.

No comments: