Saturday, August 23, 2008

For Kari :]

Kari Whiting asked me to share some of the bad parts of my trip, so here goes :]

1. It SMELLS. really bad. and you cannot make it go away. and when you wash your clothes, they smell like fish covered in laundry soap. and the smell gets in your hair. It's really bad when you start getting used to the smell of fish.
2. I'm too short to reach the bottom of the totes that we pack fish in, so I would try to balance with my hips on the edge and my feet in the air. When I lost my balance, I face planted right into my pile of fish. and I lost my balance at least twice a day. yuck.
3. Fish scales are EVERYWHERE! and they stick. When we didn't wear long sleeves there would be a layer of scales on the back side of our forearms. They itch and they're so hard to get off. And they leave little suction marks on you once you finally do get them off. They get in your hair, all over your clothes, all over the floor in every room of the boat. You cannot get rid of them.
4. There is no such thing as alone time. Your showers have to be less than 5 minutes even after you worked for 20 hours. And you can't leave the water on for the whole five minutes. You rinse off, turn off the water, scrub and shampoo, then rinse off again and you're out.
5. There is basically no contact with the outside world because of outrageous roaming charges and absolutely no cell phone service out at sea. And no computer because the electricity is generated and you could get a surge.

That's all I can think of. And despite all of that, I still loved it.

1 comment:

Kari Whiting said...

thanks lady that does make it a little less desirable. but it still sounds like you had a great time and i love that you are happy even after face planting into a pile of fish, you're quite amazing!