On this day, I went with a social worker to an elementary school to interview a little boy (we'll call him Sam). His parents were accused of doing drugs (surprise!) and leaving it out where the children could access it.
I take notes while the social worker asks questions and after she warmed him up by asking questions about school and his favorite foods and such, she asked him if he had ever heard of drugs. The boy said yes, he had heard of drugs. She asked if he had ever heard of marijuana and said no. She asked if he had ever heard of cocaine and he excitedly answered yes. The conversation went a little like this: (this is not the actual conversation... I have to mention that or else DES may be a little upset that I'm sharing...not that DES reads my blog, but still)
SW: have you ever seen cocaine?
Sam: yeah, lots of times
SW: where have you seen it?
Sam: on Zack and Cody
at this point I was a little confused. I knew Zack and Cody is a show on Disney and I didn't think they showed drugs, but I just kept on writing*
SW: have you ever seen it at your house
Sam: yes, that is where I watch Zack and Cody
SW: but have you ever seen the cocaine in your house, not in your TV
Sam: yeah, lots of times. My cousins bring it over.
SW: What do you do when they bring it over?
Sam: we play with it
this is when she turns to me to make sure that I am writing word for word
SW: Can you describe it to me? How do you play with it?
Sam: Well, it's white and you hit it
SW is getting a little worked up, makes sure I'm writing word for word again, and tells me to make and extra note about how he knows that you take hits of cocaine
SW: Can you tell me a little more about it? I really want to know everything you do with cocaine.
Sam: he's been getting a little annoyed with all the questions she's asking, so he rolls his eyes and sighs before he answers this one with: YOU PUT THE WHITE THING ON THE GROUND AND PUT THE OTHER THINGS IN THE GROUND AND HIT THE WHITE BALL THROUGH ALL THE THINGS!!
The social worker and I are very confused until it hits me: this whole time he has been thinking that we're talking about CROQUET! We were getting all worked up, and I was writing furiously and the whole time he was talking about a game in his backyard. We wanted to laugh right there, but we had to wait until we were back in the car. Needless to say, the kid knew nothing about drugs.
Tomorrow's post: scariest experience
2 comments:
WOAH. That sounds really fun!
Oh my gosh that's awesome! I don't think I would have been able to stop myself from laughing! And thank goodness he really knew nothing about drugs!
Post a Comment