Thursday, February 18, 2010

Valentine's Day

Iris and I made use of the 101 cookie cutters that I got for Christmas and made sugar cookies. I made these for Ferenc. It means "I love you" in Hungarian.



Ferenc and I went to the Ostrich Farm that is between Tucson and Phoenix. I have always always wanted to go there, but this the first time I've ever been. They have deer, goats, donkey, ostrich and lorikeets that you get to feed. I loved it! (PS. my Gs are not showing. That is my second undershirt.)




All the deer follow you where ever you walk and stick their heads out as far as they can. I was too afraid to let them eat out of the palm of my hand, so i just handed them one pellet at a time.




These goats tried desperately to get out of the hole. Most of them would put one leg out with their head and try to bust their way through.


Ferenc didn't want to get his hands dirty so he wouldn't feed them with his hands.



These ostrich were scary! haha! and way bigger than I thought they were going to be!



You were supposed to put you food through a little chute that was waist high. I wanted them to eat out of my cup so I raised it really high and got super close. But the bird just latched right onto my cup! and I had to fight for it back! I won, but that was not a good idea.


They had a ramp you could walk up to feed them from up high. It was hard to get your food in those pans before they noticed and went for you whole hand!



I was nervous that the bird was no longer distracted by the food in the pan.


at least they warned us...


I liked the donkeys. They didn't follow you and fight to be fed.



Ferenc's favorite thing at the farm.



This is in the lorikeet room. As soon as you open your little container of nectar, they come to you from all directions! I was so not prepared for that.


It flew too close to my head. Really fast. I got nervous.


My favorite one of the two of us. Don't tell Ferenc I told you this, but that bird on his shoulder totally pooped on him.


Afterwards, we bought an ostrich egg! to eat!

We haven't eaten it yet. The top is scored so you don't have to use a drill to open it. It's equivalent to 2 dozen chicken eggs! Apparently it's almost exactly the same as chicken eggs, just a little lighter and fluffier. (This picture was not taken that same day. Actually a few days later, right after I got home from working out.)

6 comments:

Paige said...

That donkey is so cute! when i went and fed the ostriches I wanted to feed them out of my hand... and they totally bit me. It's freaking scary trying to give them food without getting your hand pecked off.

Brian and Catherine said...

hahaha! i love all these pictures!!! well, i guess with all those birds someone was eventually going to get pooped on! haha. anyway, looks like a great date idea!

Katie and Ferenc said...

oh i forgot to write about that! some lady taught us how to feed them with our hands when we were about to leave...I did it once, but I didn't like it! it totally bit her when she was showing us how!

Megan said...

My dad got us an ostrich egg once! Of course I had to be convinced to eat it but it really does taste like normal eggs!

P.s. My mom read this with me and she now wants to go there. :]

Katie and Ferenc said...

megan, tell her i'll meet her there :]

Nicole Johnson said...

I took the kids there a year ago and they totally loved it! They want to go back and ride in the giant jeep they have there. I used to have a picture of Cora crying becuase the Lorikeets were landing all over her head! Of course, I just laughed;)